to view and read about the XO laptop! I have posted about this wonderful opportunity before but now it has grown to an even larger effort! GO WATCH The video and you will want to join in!
The XO is an impactful learning tool designed and built especially for children in developing countries, living in some of the most remote environments. As such, it has several features you won’t find on any other laptop.
For starters, it’s about the size of a small textbook and made with a rugged plastic exterior. It has built-in wireless and a unique screen that works in full color or black and white to make it readable under direct sunlight for children who go to school outdoors. And finally it’s ultra-low power using only about 4 watts of power (most laptops use about 60 watts). This means, when there’s no electricity, it can be recharged with alternate power sources like solar power.
Why give a laptop to a child who has no running water? If you replace the word "laptop" with "education" the answer becomes clear. You don't wait to educate until all other challenges are resolved. You educate at the same time because it's such an important part of all the other solutions.
Currently, there are XO laptops in over 30 countries from Peru to Rwanda, and everywhere it goes, the results are the same. The laptops help children build on their active interest in the world around them to engage with powerful ideas. When the laptops arrive school attendance goes up, teachers download lesson plans from the web and kids begin teaching each other how to use the machine. With the XO, kids actually learn how to learn.
The laptop hardware was designed by experts from both education and industry. This team brought together extraordinary talent and decades of collective field experience to create the perfect machine to help carry out our mission. Built in hardware includes:
- 3 USB memory ports
- SD memory slot
- Game controller
XO comes pre-loaded with free and open-source software. Our commitment to software freedom gives children the opportunity to use their laptops on their own terms. The children—and their teachers—will have the freedom to reshape, reinvent, and reapply their software, hardware, and content.
- Pre installed software activities include:
- Music editing
- Recording (includes audio, images and video)
- Basic computer programming
- A simple web browser
- Distance and sound wave measurement
For an even more detailed description of the XO please read the extended product description below visit laptop.org.
The One Laptop Per Child Organization
Founded in 2005 by MIT professor Nicholas Negroponte, One Laptop Per Child has a simple mission: to create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each and every one with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, creative, self-empowered learning.
By giving a laptop, you are helping bring education to children in some of the world's most remote areas.
You are connecting them to each other. To us. To hope. And to a better future.
- Dual mode sunlight-readable display screen
- Video and still camera
- Rugged water resistant low power laptop, no hard drive
- Open Source, Linux OS, encourages community involvement and self-exploration
- Standard WiFi as well as 'Mesh' networking that allows laptops to communicate with each other with or without a network infrastructure
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
- Hardware Platform: x86
- Processor: 433.00 MHz
- Number of Processors: 1
- RAM: 256.00 MB
- RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
- Camera: Integrated color video camera; 640 x 480 resolution at 30 FPS
- Sound: Built in Speakers and Microphone
- USB: 3 USB Ports
- Data storage: 1GB SLD NAND Flash (On-board)
- Additional data storage: SD Card Slot
- Input Devices: Touchpad, Gamepad, Directional Keys
- Screen Resolution: Dual mode - 1200x900 B&W, grey scale, sunlight readable reflective mode; 800x600 color with backlight
- Wireless: 802.11B/G, 802.11S
- Size: 1 GB
- Type: USB
Cases and Expandability
- Size (LWH): 9.65 inches, 9 inches, 1.2 inches
- Weight: 3.2 pounds